Re: configuring a wireless connection fedora core

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:47:10 -0800, printdude1968@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have just installed Fedora Core on my Acer Aspire laptop and now wish
to use the built in wireless port to connect to my wireless network. I
have tried several different configurations without success. Is there
a good resource on the web that can take me through the process? I've
never done this before and my book on Red Hat "A Practical Guide to Red
Hat(R) Linux(R): Fedora(TM) Core and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (3rd
Edition)" doesn't give me the detail I need.

Thanks

I have had a lot of luck using ndiswrapper and the Acer Aspire
WinXP wifi driver on my Acer Aspire 3002LCi under FC4/FC5/FC6. I have
documented how I did this on my web site. If you are still having
problems getting wifi to work, you may want to try the same process as I
have used in my write-up, but make necessary adjustments for your specific
wifi driver. The ndiswrpper wiki may be of help on what adjustments you
may need to make to get your specific wifi chipset to work correctly.

http://www.hoflink.com/~turajb/linux_acer3k2_fc6.htm

Also on a side note, FC6 seams to have muct better native wireless driver
support, then FC4 or FC5. And since FC6 is the most current Fedora Core
version available & because its pretty stable, I would recommend upgrading
to FC6 first.

Hope this helps...

  • Re: LINUX AND WIRELESS
    ... > red hat is the only linux i have used and ive just bought red hat 9 ... so i'll have a laptop running rh9 and a wireless card. ... I used kismet and could "see" the router ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: [SLE] wireless is able to browse the lan but not the internet
    ... the card works fine with my Windows XP ... >Mandrake and EVEN worked on Suse 8.2. ... Wireless came up and worked like a champ. ... I've been a red hat user for about 3 years now and I've ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: wireless woes on FC6
    ... I am able to connect through windoze and then it sometimes works on FC6. ... Does your laptop have a wireless on/off button. ... With Windows the switch light came on ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: NetworkManager: how to select wireless interface
    ... normal operation to be able to select wired or wireless. ... NM has been around since FC6, people have had these complaints since FC6, nothing has gotten better since FC6. ... There is no good documentation, there is only a raft of incomplete and in some cases contradictory documents from various uncoordinated sources. ... Also WEP/WSA settings, not trying DHCP before WSA, only trying DHCP when to to, using static IP addresses. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Intel Pro Wireless 3945
    ... weeks to get my Intel Pro Wireless 3945 working on my Dell Latitude ... to trouble shoot so hoping final of FC7 will configure automatically. ... I can't seem to get FC6 to properly install (clean install). ...
    (Fedora)