Re: HP server, Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet, eth1 cant get 1000bps

Alexander Al wrote:
Ken wrote:
Alexander Al wrote:
Hi,

picture this:

# Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet

Linux version 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp (brewbuilder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 4.1.1 20060525 (Red Hat 4.1.1-1)) #1 SMP Tue Aug 8 16:00:39 EDT 2006

# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: g
Wake-on: d
Current message level: 0x000000ff (255)
Link detected: yes

# ethtool eth1
Settings for eth1:
Supported ports: [ MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: g
Wake-on: d
Current message level: 0x000000ff (255)
Link detected: yes

If I do:

# ethtool -s eth1 speed 1000 autoneg off
Cannot set new settings: Invalid argument
not setting speed
not setting autoneg

What's wrong that I can't get eth1 doing 1Gb/s ?

sincerely,
Alexander.

What is the port set to on the switch that you are plugged into?

Auto

What are the lines in your /etc/modprobe.conf that refer to the Ethernet ports on the server.

alias eth0 tg3
alias eth1 tg3

What version of the driver are you running?
ethtool -e eth0
ethtool -e eth1

well, that didn't nothing but

# dmesg | grep tg3
tg3.c:v3.59 (June 8, 2006)

Alexander.

Sorry I meant "ethtool -i eth0"... Sleeping I guess.

I experimented with the tg3 driver, though I am running RHEL 4 update 4.

driver: tg3
version: 3.52-rh
firmware-version: 5721-v3.49a
bus-info: 0000:06:00.0

As for the command, it appears that the tg3 driver will not accept autoneg off for Gb speed. If will accept

]# ethtool -s eth1 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

or

]# ethtool -s eth1 autoneg on

or

]# ethtool -s eth1 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg on

I assume since your first NIC is running at Gb, that the other side is a Gb port. Have you tried replacing the cable?

Ken
.