Re: HP server, Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet, eth1 cant get 1000bps

Alexander Al wrote:
Ken wrote:
Alexander Al wrote:
Hi,

picture this:

# Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet

Linux version 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp (brewbuilder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 4.1.1 20060525 (Red Hat 4.1.1-1)) #1 SMP Tue Aug 8 16:00:39 EDT 2006

# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: g
Wake-on: d
Current message level: 0x000000ff (255)
Link detected: yes

# ethtool eth1
Settings for eth1:
Supported ports: [ MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: g
Wake-on: d
Current message level: 0x000000ff (255)
Link detected: yes

If I do:

# ethtool -s eth1 speed 1000 autoneg off
Cannot set new settings: Invalid argument
not setting speed
not setting autoneg

What's wrong that I can't get eth1 doing 1Gb/s ?

sincerely,
Alexander.

What is the port set to on the switch that you are plugged into?

Auto

What are the lines in your /etc/modprobe.conf that refer to the Ethernet ports on the server.

alias eth0 tg3
alias eth1 tg3

What version of the driver are you running?
ethtool -e eth0
ethtool -e eth1

well, that didn't nothing but

# dmesg | grep tg3
tg3.c:v3.59 (June 8, 2006)

Alexander.

Sorry I meant "ethtool -i eth0"... Sleeping I guess.

I experimented with the tg3 driver, though I am running RHEL 4 update 4.

driver: tg3
version: 3.52-rh
firmware-version: 5721-v3.49a
bus-info: 0000:06:00.0

As for the command, it appears that the tg3 driver will not accept autoneg off for Gb speed. If will accept

]# ethtool -s eth1 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

or

]# ethtool -s eth1 autoneg on

or

]# ethtool -s eth1 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg on

I assume since your first NIC is running at Gb, that the other side is a Gb port. Have you tried replacing the cable?

Ken

  • Re: HP server, Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet, eth1 cant get 1000bps
    ... # ethtool eth0 ... Settings for eth0: ... Supported ports: ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: Cant Send e-mails - Outlook 2003
    ... Rich, the answer to #1 is yes, at home Outlook sends messages just fine. ... I asked them about other port numbers, and they say they do not have any ... Your original settings might have been okay, but Verizon may have had server ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.installation)
  • Re: Desktop On-Call
    ... Also, if your port wasn't opened in a firewall, then I don't think you'd get the login prompt. ... I think the login Java applet does some initial communication with the DTOC server before it asks for your username and password. ... The notebook settings for this are found in the "Host PC Setting" tab. ...
    (comp.os.os2.apps)
  • Re: shared printer will not work?
    ... As for the printer port settings it is USB001 Virtual ... Right click the printer and select Sharing. ... To further set permissions click the Advanced button. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Programming serial interface question (linux)
    ... /* baudrate settings are defined in, ... /* save current serial port settings ... CREAD: enable receiving characters ...
    (comp.lang.c)