Re: centos and gbit onboard adapter?

Jacob wrote:
"Ken" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxx> skrev i en meddelelse news:q5Ekh.42319$V96.10790@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jacob wrote:
"Ken" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxx> skrev i en meddelelse news:iWkkh.21217$RR4.13732@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jacob wrote:
Hey

I've got a wierd thing here... I've installed CentOS v. 4.4 on a MSI PT880-NEO-FSR motherboard.

On it theres a gbit LAN adapter, Centos installs it and it works perfectly... but only at 100mbit fd... ?

Output from lspci:
00:07.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6120/VT6121/VT6122 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev 11)

Output from mii-tool
eth2: negotiated 100baseTx-FD , link ok

I've tried mii-tool -r to re negotiate link speeds and duplex, but it doesnt help... neither does a reboot. The adapter is offcourse plugged in to a gbit switch. Theres two other computers in the same switch who can communicate with speeds up to 1gbit. I've also tried plugging the server into another switchport without any changes.

I've also tried to force the adapter to 1000mbit fd.... but that gives:
ethtool -s eth2 speed 1000 dulpex full
Cannot set new settings: Invalid argument
not setting speed
not setting duplex

Anyone got a clue ? :-)

Best regards Jacob

What is the output from "ethtool eth2"? mii-tool won't show speeds above 100-FD.

Ken
Thank you for your reply, I didnt know that :-)

Heres the output:

# ethtool eth2
Settings for eth2:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: Not reported
Advertised auto-negotiation: No
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: puag
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000002 (2)
Link detected: no - Now this is wierd, since the server is my router to the internet, and that works great, and the other nics in the server, says link detected: yes...

Output from eth1:
# ethtool eth1
Settings for eth1:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 24
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Current message level: 0x00000001 (1)
Link detected: yes

A few more clues? ... please :-)

Regards Jacob

Results from a gig connection on one of my RHEL machines. As you can see mii-tool shows 100 FD while ethtool says 1000 Mb/s. Because of the "Advertised link modes" and the "Advertised auto-negotiation", on your outout, I would tend to think that the switch port is hard coded to 100 Mb/s.

~]# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: d
Wake-on: d
Link detected: yes

As opposed to:

~]# mii-tool
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok

Ken

Hello again.

I will use ethtool from now on :-)

The switch is a simple dummy 5 ports 10/100/1000mbit switch, and i cant configure it to any specific speed... :-(

Regards Jacob

This part means it is a Gb card.

>> Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>> 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>> 1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
>> Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

This part means it has had it speed/duplex set probably with ethtool -s eth1 speed 100 duplex full

>> Advertised link modes: Not reported
>> Advertised auto-negotiation: No
>> Speed: 100Mb/s
>> Duplex: Full