kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

i have RHEL AS 4 installed on a HP Proliant DL580 in a test
environment.
The server had Oracle installed but the database was not running at
the time.
the server was uncleanly shutdown , while rebooting we noticed there
were filesystem errors,
which dropped us to a shell for repair.i'm not an experienced user ,
but i assume i did the right thing, i did\
fsck -p at the prompt and then i quit waiting for the administrator.
we rebooted the server and we had the following error.

Decompressing Linux
umount /dev/initrd
kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

now the server won't boot, i did not have the time to look at the logs
and now the server is down.
I don't think i gave enough info in here, i don't know what other
information i should be providing, but anyway i hope at least some
body can explain me why or what happened and ways to avoid it?

  • Re: HELP! Ive been had! Someone hacked into my Linux box. What now?
    ... server that is using a default sshd configuration. ... As of now it is still rebooting at 9:00 AM. ... been "rootkitted" (the standard way of hijacking a server). ... Rootkits ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Troubleshoot Failing Clients Internet Connection
    ... rebooting no problems with clients connecting to the interner on Tuesday and ... I plan to remove the card this weekend. ... How many nics in your SBS server? ... Internet when they first logon in the morning. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: save and sound operating system
    ... One is a short-term solution. ... totally automatically, just rebooting a workstation ... but a stand-alone server (especially Web ... operating system. ...
  • Re: POSTPONING REBOOT AFTER INSTALLING UPDATES
    ... server should be restarted immediately after applying an update. ... himself in a position as IT director of a law firm employing over 300 people. ... applying updates without rebooting is ok. ... immediately after installing updates. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows 2000 (Pro and Server) having services.exe error and rebooting
    ... 2K Pro, only Server. ... many more PC's then it is, plus I'd assume a virus scanner on some PC ... it seems installing all the MS updates and rebooting has ... hose without all the updates. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)