Re: Linux full system restore from tape library - ugly system crash

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 05:49:52 -0800, steven acer wrote:

On Jan 19, 1:46 pm, Jan Gerrit Kootstra <jan.ger...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
steven acer wrote:
we have recently purchased an MSL6000 HP tape library and the HP Data
Protector backup/restore managing tool.i've managed to take a full
system backup of my RHEL 4 U4.i've fully backed up every filesystem.
To try a full system restore from tape backup to a fresh RHEL 4
installation,i've restored all my files including -/etc/*
-/dev/*, after i created all the necessary partitions and attached
all the devices that were there prior to the crash( the system is a
test system )
my system crashed on reboot with "kernel not syncing,attempting to
kill init".

My question is what files/filesystems should and what files/
filesystems should not be restored to avoid such a crash and have a
successful restore.Could someone point me to a detailed procedure of
performing a full system restore including detailed info about what
files to restore and how to restore the system's configuration.

There might be a standard way or a detailed doc some where to do this
that i'm not aware of, and HP does not seem to provide any docs on
the issue.

Steven,

I do know of a standard doc.

Restoring /dev on another system is in general (whether Linux or Unix)
a bad thing.

Restoring /etc should be done with care. /etc/passwd /etc/group and
/etc/shadow might contain different id's.

Your restore will probably have "rewritten" your /etc/grub.conf so that
the / filesystem has not been found by the kernel.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra
emm.... ok i'll try it without restoring /dev, i'll also try to go
through /etc 's important files one by one. About the grub thing, i
forgot to mention in my first post, i did setup grub after i restored
the / filesystem but that didn't help.if you have anything in mind i'll
be happy to give it a try to get this working.
regards

Where exactly did it crash in the boot sequence? If the hardware of the
target machine differs from the source, then another thing to consider is
the initrd image used to boot up enough to get to the disks. IIRC, the
message you're receiving is because you haven't loaded the right kernel
disk drivers.
.