Re: how to install rpm from installation media

shank wrote:
i am a newbie, got installed RHEL5 with default packages-so i consider
i left out many things.Now i am trying to install those things but
copying rpm from Server directory and installing but it doesnt
work(too many dependencies), is there a way i can use yum without
getting registered with RHN? all i want is to install packages that i
have left out during the installation...coz somewhere i read that can
be done post installation. how do i do it? please help or guide me to
a proper place where i can get the solution to my problem. thanks in
advance.

Out of curiosity, if you don't want to register why did you pick an EL release?

If you just started using it why not copy your files and reinstall? Even if you have been using it for a long time, just be certain to copy your username .files in addition to working files. If you have a usb drive just copy all the user files to it cp -Ra (I think) and when you reinstall make the username a symlink to that drive under /home.

--
When nations go to war the only question regarding the number of their own
citizens dead is if the number is acceptable and will result in a win. It

  • Re: Trend CSM 3.0 will not push to XP clients
    ... "hillservices\administrator does not have administrator privileges" and If I ... The username and/or password may be invalid...." ... >> was trying to install to an XP Pro SP2 client with the Microsoft Firewall ... >> or the target computer is running Windows XP using simple file sharing. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Trend CSM 3.0 will not push to XP clients
    ... The username and/or password may be ... >>> and I am trying to remotely install to XP Pro SP2 clients using the ... >>> was trying to install to an XP Pro SP2 client with the Microsoft ... >>> or the target computer is running Windows XP using simple file sharing. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Trend CSM 3.0 will not push to XP clients
    ... Hi Greg when you enter the username are you entering it in the form ... > and I am trying to remotely install to XP Pro SP2 clients using the ... > was trying to install to an XP Pro SP2 client with the Microsoft Firewall ... > the target computer is running Windows XP using simple file sharing. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: IIS 4 Security
    ... >password protected web site is hosted using IIS 4 w/o ... If it is IIS4 totally unpatched, ... definitely buffer overflows in every http method in a stock install of IIS4 ... >require username and pass then a malformed URL will be ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: "not installed for the current user" error:Office suddenly wont o
    ... the simplest solution is to uninstall all ... log off your user account. ... three visible ones should be "all users", "your old username", "the new ... Install office and the problem should be fixed. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)