Re: Booting to rescue mode, but no /mnt/sysimage

On 23 Feb, 00:13, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kenneth Holter wrote:
Hi.

For recovery testing purposes issued "rm -fr /" on my Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 5 server, and tried to boot into rescue mode to see
if I could recover from this sort of failure. I'm running NetWorker
backup software to preform recovery of files.

But when booting into recovery mode, however, there is no "/mnt/
sysimage" folder, as described in Red Hat's documentation. But there
is an "/mnt/runtime" folder that seems to contain the remaining files
on the hard drive.

How come there is no "/mnt/sysimage", and what is "/mnt/runtime"? How
can I access the files in a write-enabled mode so that I can perform
full recovery?

You mean no /mnt/sysimage in the rescue OS? Did you let it go hunting for
Linux installations to mount them? If you did, I suspect it failed to find
enough to identify the OS as a Linux OS or to find the "/etc/fstab" from the
old OS to mount hte partitions.

This is partly why I like to use "labeled" ext3 partitions, to tell me where
they were supposed to be mounted.- Skjul sitert tekst -

- Vis sitert tekst -

I did let the rescue OS go hunting for Linux installation, but it was
unsuccessful. So instead of getting the expected /mnt/sysimage (which
I got earlier, before I thrashed the installasjon) I got /mnt/runtime.
I agree with mr. Giwer (the post before yours) that /mnt/runtime seems
to be the files found on the CD.

Do you known which files on the Linux installation is required for
rescue mode to mount the it? In other words: Which files are important
enough so that if these files are lost I have to do a fresh install?

  • Re: Booting to rescue mode, but no /mnt/sysimage
    ... Enterprise Linux 5 server, and tried to boot into rescue mode to ... The rescue system finds the RedHat installation ... the necessary files to perform NetWorker recovery. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] Undoing a delete
    ... Do they want me to go and find a Windows machine to run this recovery ... it is a shame when the vendor markets a product that may be pointlessly ... requires the use of a paid operating system in order to recover my files ... right now and put in a request for a Linux version of the product, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: photo memory card file recovery
    ... Someone downloaded a trial version of a memory card recovery ... I would like to find a Linux program, preferably a free one, which will ... and does not find any valid headers or any jpg files. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: OT computer questions please...
    ... Ive got two desktops running on Linux. ... The recovery function on the install CD failed to restore things to ... computers have floppy drives anymore. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Windows XP Recovery problem
    ... XP Home on my Compaq Presario V4000T has a major ... I never set passwords for it, but now XP is asking for passwords. ... I bought a recovery CD from an authorized shop, ... recovery partition, Linux boot, Linux swap, and Linux root. ...