Re: rpm doesn't recognize installed version of python

Allie wrote:
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to install bittorrent (http://download.bittorrent.com/dl/
BitTorrent-5.0.3-1-Python2.4.noarch.rpm) on my ancient redhat 7.3
system. It requires a recent version of python, so I installed python
2.5.2 from source (http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5.2/
Python-2.5.2.tar.bz2). I ran ./configure, make and make install.

Now, however, when I run "rpm -ivh BitTorrent-5.0.3-1-
Python2.4.noarch.rpm", I get:

error: failed dependencies:
/usr/bin/python2.4 is needed by BitTorrent-5.0.3-1
python >= 2.3 is needed by BitTorrent-5.0.3-1
python(abi) = 2.4 is needed by BitTorrent-5.0.3-1
python-crypto >= 2.0 is needed by BitTorrent-5.0.3-1
python-psyco is needed by BitTorrent-5.0.3-1
python-twisted >= 2.0 is needed by BitTorrent-5.0.3-1
python-zopeinterface is needed by BitTorrent-5.0.3-1
wxPython >= 2.6 is needed by BitTorrent-5.0.3-1

Is rpm not seeing my python 2.5? I ran "ln -s /usr/local/bin/python /
usr/bin/python", but that didn't help. Any suggestions are very
welcome. Thanks y'all!

I have no idea what the problem is as I used to run that without a problem. But quick solution is to use ktorrent which I use today. It is an incredibly mature implementation -- admitting I have not tried them all.

The slow solution is to use yum to install those dependencies but maybe first looking for a bittorrent.rpm file.

--
Is it legitimate to ask why the only country that was friendly to apartheid
South Africa was Israel or is that an antisemitic question?

  • Re: Whats so funny? WAS Re: rotor replacement
    ... That I have to download and perhaps install them to use ... > * I have to download and build the MySQLdb package to talk to MySQL ... > servers from Python code ... I can write something using a core module instead of an external ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • RE: Python 2.4 killing commercial Windows Python development ?
    ... > install fully useable Python on their Windows machines. ... > Quicksomething for Windows, or RealPlayer, ... The Windows application that I develop and distribute relies on Python ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: bytecode non-backcompatibility
    ... Unstable bytecodes makes updating to a newer version of Python very ... >>>tedious and risk breaking old scripts, ... > setup.py install" to install the library into site-package. ... each port has a list of all the other ports it depends ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: another yum/python problem
    ... > you would then not have libxml2mod object. ... Although I have python 2.2.3, ... If I try to install python2.3 I get a lot of failed dependencies (mostly ...
    (Fedora)
  • HOWTO: Python 2.3 on Fedora Core 1 Linux
    ... About the 'new' Python ... Appendix A: Python Installation with Tkinter - edit: Modules/Setup.dist ... Be aware that it is always risky to install new software; ... # uncomment and/or edit those parts as indicated. ...
    (comp.lang.python)