Re: Redhat Licensing

On Aug 30, 7:43 am, General Schvantzkopf <schvantzk...@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 22:40:06 -0700, Artificer wrote:
If I need to install RHEL desktop on 100 users PCs do I need to buy
support for each one of them? Or can buy support for one PC and install
the software on the others even if I don’t get support for the others?

Why don't you talk to Redhat about this? Redhat sells support contracts,
not software, the software is GPLed so you can do what you want with it.
What you can't do is buy support for one system and then make support
requests for 100 systems, that would be fraud. You should ask Redhat what
sort of support contracts they have available. If they have a per incident
support contract then you could use that to support as many users as you
want. Even if they don't they will probably offer you a discount for a 100
system contract. If you don't need Redhat support at all then you should
just use CentOS. Even though it's probably OK to put RHEL on all of your
systems, I'd use CentOS just to remove all doubt.

Thanks a lot!

  • Re: GNAT GPL 2005 Edition is now available - A Vote and some other comments
    ... Note I don't really have that big of a problem with the AdaCore ... They want to encourage people that can pay for support to pay ... also use CentOS 4 for my 2 Linux ... went redhat 7 then redhat 9 on the following upgrade based upon what ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: SuSE vs. RedHat
    ... CentOS is basically a fork of RedHat. ... Based on recompiled RedHat source code with trademarks etc. removed. ... support it yourself then no need to pay them. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: New laptop/Linux
    ... confused with all the Linux versions to choose from. ... "Community" version of RedHat. ... It is very stable and you pay to get license and support. ... the source of their distro, and this is used by others to build distros ...
    (comp.os.linux.portable)
  • Re: RedHat Advanced Server 4.0 - Where can i get media?
    ... Since you are /not/ interested in Red Hat support, ... CentOS and Scientific Linux are ... the name Redhat. ... updates lag the updates from Redhat because they have to wait for Redhat ...
    (linux.redhat)