Re: Ubuntu vs Fedora

On 2009-02-19, measekite <inkystinky@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Currently I am using Ubuntu. It is getting near the time where I need to
upgrade my OS and intend to do a clean install with a reformat. I have
two issues.

1. Since I am basically starting from scratch I am strongly considering
fedora 10. Does either distro give me any advantage over the other in any
respect?

I've always used RedHat or Fedora and am comfortable with rpm package
management. I haven't learned how to build .deb packages from source but
I'm sure it must be possible. Building rpms is second nature to me now.
If you're comfortable with apt that may be a factor to consider. From
what I can tell, Fedora tends to be more "cutting edge" than Ubuntu,
with all that entails -- both positive and negative.

2. Presently I have a dual boot system with Windows. I have a boot
partition with some boot manager, and windows ntfs partition, a swap
partition and an Ubuntu partition. Ubuntu reads and writes ntfs drives
and that is a requirement but I assume fedora can do the same.

Yes; ntfs support is installed by default in Fedora.

How do I install the new OS and still maintain my dual boot?

It's been a while since I've installed a dual boot system but in the
past the installer has always recognized and automatically configured
the boot manager to boot both systems.

--

John (john@xxxxxxxxxxx)

  • Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 51, Issue 51
    ... A sneak peek at Fedora 9 ... the machinations of the wicked." ... LVM & retroactively creating encrypted /home partition ... some people here do the default install of Fedora and it ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Partition and Dual Boot Vol IV (Options/Inclinations)
    ... installations of W98 and it's an easy way to achieve that. ... > to Create the otther Partitions (the Extended Partition & the Logical ... That doesn't achieve what he wants, without a boot manager anyway. ... >> allows you to install W98 on the new active drive. ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: Id like to dual boot Fedora with Debian...
    ... Will it be possible to install Fedora in that partition? ... Fedora installation planned or want to use LVM you could choose a different scheme. ... There are choices on install to select customize a partition scheme. ... The default is to remove all Linux partitions so you ask a very wise question. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 19, Issue 65
    ... in fedora core3 on 915 intel origenal motherboard how to install xmms patch? ... > An HTML attachment was scrubbed... ... I used Powerquest's Partition ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Id like to dual boot Fedora with Debian...
    ... I've got a backup of the important data from my Debian System. ... empty partition I think I can get it done without too much trouble. ... Will it be possible to install Fedora in that partition? ...
    (Fedora)