Difference between the desktop PATH and switchd user PATH

I have user who gets "word too long" error when trying to start the
application from his desktop (as a user). the tcsh PATH when using
the env command from the desktop terminal, is too long.

However, he has no problem starting the application when he logs in as
a root, start the terminal session, and switches the user using su -
jeff. Also, the PATH is lot shorter when I use "env" command.

I will really appreciate if someone can explain why there is a
difference in PATH variable between desktop user env and switched user
env.

Thanks in advance.

-Vijay

  • Re: fetch error
    ... When I enter env command to show all values I see nothing about fetch. ... in a shell script or Makefile? ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: fetch error
    ... When I enter env command to show all values I see nothing about fetch. ... I think i changed this environment value and made a typo leaving off the leading /. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Difference between the desktop PATH and switchd user PATH
    ... the env command from the desktop terminal, ... the PATH is lot shorter when I use "env" command. ... difference in PATH variable between desktop user env and switched user ... looks in another directory for additional env files. ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: Absolute newcomer #2
    ... env>> xx ... the output of the env command will be appended to ... Create a script that takes 1 argument being a file, ... files so that i can append it to the newly created file. ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)