Re: Fedora 13 - eth0 on boot

Mike Webb schreef:
Hi guys i don't know much (well hardly anything) about linux, I'm am trying to learn!!

basically my problem is eth0 does not seem to be active on boot.

my main aim is to create a file server for a small network (uni house), the plan is to have one place where we can all keep our films, tv shows etc which can be accessed by our media centre, xbox and any pc's connected to the network, using SMB.

at the moment i need to run

# /etc/init.d/network restart

every time i turn the server on, to give the eth0 a kick up the butt, which is very annoying. i would like to control the server using SSH but cant do this until it connects to the network. (also can i actually do this before logging a user in anyway?, i dont want a monitor/keyboard connected to the server basically.)

Any help much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!

Mike

Mike,

can you run the following command, in a terminal window:

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0|grep -i onboot

On my system it shows:
ONBOOT=yes

If yours shows no then you should edit the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  • Re: Setting up dhcp-server on my desktop machine SOLVED
    ... Your server is configured to use dhcp to acquire a network address? ... For your own sanity you probably want to add 'auto eth0' in addition ... But in error you have set a second gateway on your secondary interface ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [opensuse] Networking Issue (Revisited)
    ... What is the gateway of stations? ... The same ip on eth0? ... use tcpdump to look incoming packets from local network. ... The server was also connected to the ...
    (SuSE)
  • Networking Problem with KVM Virtual Machine Migration
    ... When I copy my virtual machine over to the new server, ... it will properly utilize the network. ... eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Networking trouble after recent upgrade in Sid
    ... DHCP server and DNS server for my home network. ... but it appears that eth0 is no longer getting an IPv4 ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Help: configure networking
    ... Because this is an LTSP server, it will have a DHCP server in it. ... The router connects to the Edubuntu server on eth0, and the clients connect on eth1. ... This server is inside a Windows network serving DHCP that in turn connects to the internet. ...
    (Ubuntu)