Re: lsattr understanding

On 07/16/2010 11:51 PM, horus wrote:
There are 78282 files in this users directory tree.

I tried moving the entire account to a different named account however at
some time during
the move the -I- reappeared.

So at this point it is my guess that the file system (RAID 5 - PCI)
decides
to set this bit for
faster access to the files?

Have you bothered to read the manpage for lsattr? Hint: It will refer you
the the chattr manpage for the description of the attributes.

read them all, couple of times............but it still doesn't explain how
moving the
entire account to a new place with a different name caused the -I-........
it was a little unclear how this bit could get set in the first place, let
alone how to
remove it.

OK, so you do have some idea of what that flag means and just need a
deeper explanation. Fair enough.

The "I" flag is set by the kernel when it creates a hash tree index for
a directory, which it will do automatically when a directory grows large
enough to make linear search an inefficient way to do lookups. It's
been a feature of the ext2/ext3/ext4 file system for some time now. If
you really don't want that to happen, you'll have to re-create the file
system without the "dir_index" option. I don't know of any good reason
to do that. It's a "compatible" option, meaning that even an old kernel
that does not understand directory indexing can still mount and use the
file system. Trying to remove that flag from a directory that has a
b-tree index is pointless. (What, the index is there, but you want the
kernel to ignore it??)

  • Re: lsattr understanding
    ... I tried moving the entire account to a different named account however ... So at this point it is my guess that the file system ... meaning that even an old kernel ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: OT: Moving to France
    ... job what additional hassle will there be in moving country instead of ... just moving house? ... account, ... lunch, to a 'poor man's America', a consumer society where the high streets ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Service running as Local system account Unable to map drive on
    ... Hi Joe and Phillip ... account has full permissions on both the share and the file system itself. ... Security Eventlog: ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: ASPNET account doesnt exist on Windows Server 2003
    ... On the file system? ... >> This will create the ASPNET account the the ASPNET_WP.exe executable. ... >>> granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity. ... >>> bebop ...
  • Re: Speeds of light
    ... evidence that all distant stars are moving away from us and those ... What we actually observe is that the spectral patterns ... with the observed reality that redshift offers an account of. ... particularly good reason for us to abandon those explanations which have ...
    (talk.origins)