Re: lsattr understanding

On 07/16/2010 11:51 PM, horus wrote:
There are 78282 files in this users directory tree.

I tried moving the entire account to a different named account however at
some time during
the move the -I- reappeared.

So at this point it is my guess that the file system (RAID 5 - PCI)
decides
to set this bit for
faster access to the files?

Have you bothered to read the manpage for lsattr? Hint: It will refer you
the the chattr manpage for the description of the attributes.

read them all, couple of times............but it still doesn't explain how
moving the
entire account to a new place with a different name caused the -I-........
it was a little unclear how this bit could get set in the first place, let
alone how to
remove it.

OK, so you do have some idea of what that flag means and just need a
deeper explanation. Fair enough.

The "I" flag is set by the kernel when it creates a hash tree index for
a directory, which it will do automatically when a directory grows large
enough to make linear search an inefficient way to do lookups. It's
been a feature of the ext2/ext3/ext4 file system for some time now. If
you really don't want that to happen, you'll have to re-create the file
system without the "dir_index" option. I don't know of any good reason
to do that. It's a "compatible" option, meaning that even an old kernel
that does not understand directory indexing can still mount and use the
file system. Trying to remove that flag from a directory that has a
b-tree index is pointless. (What, the index is there, but you want the
kernel to ignore it??)